Last week I shared a distinctly unhealthy but absolutely (even if I say so myself) delicious recipe for carrot cake – yum. This week it is back to some healthy baking and snacks, OK less fun but more helpful when it comes to the ultimate bikini body challenge!
The recipe for these is pretty much the same as the one I posted here but with a few tweaks!
When I first made this recipe I noticed how stiff the mixture was and thought “hmm I bet they could be moulded into macaroon shape!” – I was right! Here’s the simplified recipe and method:
- Preheat the oven (top/bottom heat) to 200 C (392 F)
- Break two eggs into a mixing bowl and beat.
- Add a table spoon of coconut flour to the mixture and combine with the egg, add up to another table spoon until the mixture is stiff like a dough.
- Mash up a large, ripe banana on a separate plate and then add to the mix. This should loosen the mixture a bit.
- Add a table spoon of dried coconut (or more to taste) to the mixture.
- Add a teaspoon of vanilla essence.
- If the mixture is so dry that it doesn’t hold together then add a little coconut milk to loosen a little. If it is too wet add some more coconut flour and dried coconut.
- Use a little coconut oil to grease some baking parchment on a baking sheet.
- At this stage I use a protein powder (read about the importance of protein in this post) scoop to form the shape of the macaroons. I use about a heaped teaspoon of the mixture per macaroon. Press the mix into the scoop and then using the spoon ease them out onto the sheet. See below.
- Now place your macaroons into the oven and bake until golden and slightly darker around the edges (see top photo below).
- When the macaroons are baked, remove from oven and cool. For extra yummy points put a few squares of dark chocolate (I use 70% cocoa) into a microwaveable bowl. When the macaroons are cooled drizzle the melted chocolate over the top.
These last for about a week but can be frozen and then defrosted on your desk at work for elevenses! A nice healthy snack for work!
Share your own recipes in the comment section below or if you want to ask a question about the recipe then please do!